As our enrolments grow, the roads around our school are becoming increasingly chaotic during the morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up times and children are sometimes put at risk.
Children are vulnerable road users and are at higher risk in traffic because of their size and inability to judge speed and distance.
When in school zones, please observe the following guidelines to reduce risk to children:
- ALWAYS cross at the school crossings!!!
- BE PATIENT – observe the directions of the School Crossing Supervisor.
- DO NOT park on footpaths or over driveways.
- DO NOT use the staff car park to pick up or drop off children. The car park is for staff vehicles only.
- NEVER double park. This reduces driver visibility, causes congestion and puts children at risk.
- NEVER call your child across the road.
- ALWAYS encourage your child to enter and exit the car from the kerb.
- REMEMBER children are full of surprises! Expect the unexpected.
- ALWAYS drive at or below 40km/h.
Our children’s safety and well-being is our most important priority so it is wonderful to have two Crossing Supervisors, George and Carmen, to help our children cross what are, at times, very busy roads. A children’s crossing is a legal crossing when two flags are in place. Children and adults who are crossing at a children’s crossing must comply with the supervisor’s directions and must stand behind the line until the supervisor blows the whistle, indicating that it is safe to cross. The crossing supervisor will always wait until it is safe before they walk out and blow their whistle.
Cars are not allowed to park on or around the crossing. The crossing area is usually signed NO STOPPING. The clearance around the crossing is for the safety of pedestrians.
REMEMBER – ALWAYS CROSS AT THE CHILDREN’S CROSSING WHEN IT IS IN OPERATION.
By following the rules around school zones we can work together to ensure the safety of our children.